The October meeting is on Thursday, October 24th. Note that is NOT the last Thursday of the month, as October has five Thursdays this year.
Rudy Rudolph will be demonstrating "Christmas Ornaments" and using colored pens for embellishment.
Follow this link for an interactive map to the meeting location.
Highlights of the September Meeting
Jim Norris was our presenter this month. His demonstration was turning a “pumpkin box”. This fits right into the season.
- starting with a rounded up turning block, mark center and define the bottom
- shape the turning into a pumpkin shape
- part off top piece, set aside
- drill out center to correct depth with a forsner bit, Jim uses a 1 7/8" Colt bit
- hollow out the inside, remember not to make the wall to thin as you will carve the outside
- part off bottom, create jam chuck and finish bottom (jam chuck is same size as top)
- even up the edge of the top to match the bottom and reduce the wood behind top where the stem will be
- after shaping the top, place bottom and layout divisions for carving. Jim uses a piece of tape wrapped around the middle, removes and divides with a tape measure, remounts the tape on the pumpkin and marks he box where the divisions are. Lining up the marks with his tool rest he marks the box.
- finish and sand - Jim uses an Acrylic orange paint diluted into a 50/50 wash
October 24, 2019; 6:00 PM, Coburg Community Charter School, Coburg - Beaver State Woodturners
Rudy Rudolph - "Christmas Ornaments"